Tuesday, May 25, 2010

It's CSA time!

Last Wednesday I got my first CSA box of the season. For those of you who don't know, CSA is community supported agriculture and basically, it's getting a box a fresh fruits and veggies delivered once a week from a local farm (click here for more info, or to find a CSA near you). The box was full of fresh spring goodness, and I quickly made use. This week I got mushrooms, scallions, lettuce, rhubarb, and strawberries. The lettuce became a weeks worth of salads, but the rest became some local cooking magic.

First, and delicious smoothie:

Strawberry-banana-maple smoothie (my new favorite):
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk original
1/2 a banana, frozen
1 cup of strawberries
1-2 tsp of maple syrup (depending on your preference)

Blend everything together and enjoy! This makes 1 serving.

Next we have a mushroom-truffle pasta

1/2 box of pasta, I used penne
2 cups of mushrooms
1 bunch of scallions
1 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup of beef stock
Cooking spray
2 tsp of truffle oil
Parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper

Make the pasta according to the directions. Wash mushrooms and slice. Spray a small pan with non-stick spray and heat mushrooms over medium-high heat. Chop scallions up through the light green, add to mushrooms. When they are browned slightly add beef stock and allow to cook until stock is evaporated and mushrooms are tender. Mix the mushrooms, scallions and pasta together with the butter, salt and pepper to taste. Add truffle oil in a drizzle and toss. Serve with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Finally, the very delicious jam:

Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam

1 cup of chopped rhubarb
2 cups chopped strawberries
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch

Over medium heat stir together strawberries, rhubarb and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add cornstarch and raise heat to bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook covered for 5-10 minutes until jam has thickened. This is so delicious, I cannot stop eating it. I have been putting it on everything. My favorite is this jam and ricotta on an english muffin. yum.

The recipe makes a bit over a cup of jam, so feel free to increase. The jam will keep for about 2 weeks refrigerated. I made not attempt to can it, and do not know very much about canning, but I will be making some attempts soon (so stay tuned). For more information on safe home canning, see the USDA complete guide to home canning.

All and all a delicious haul and it's only going to get better. I can't wait to see what's in my box this week.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are going to enjoy your CSA! I can't wait to see what else you cook with the fresh produce that's seasonally available. Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some blog love!