Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Chicken Drama

Not all chickens are created equal. Or are butchered that way. I learned this lesson the hard way last night, when I attempted to remove the giblets bag of a chicken that I was going to roast. There was no bag. I am not squeamish, I have even seen a chicken butchered before (from the head-on stage, in Spain), but it's not exactly pleasant to stick your hand inside a chicken expecting to pull out a little white bag and instead being jabbed by bone and having your hand come out covered in chicken guts. Ew. I assume that this chicken is for making stock, when the bones and guts would probably come in handy, but I was not about to roast this bad boy. I grabbed my cleaver and "broke down" the chicken myself, with none of the impressiveness of a Top Chef. I managed to chop off the legs, wings and the breast (in two pieces). Then used a newly purchased back up chicken to roast instead. I didn't have any fresh herbs but I still followed my basic-no fail-always wonderful Roasting Chicken. And, it came out wonderfully.

In garden news, everything is re-potted and moved to the back porch as of Sunday (there are also some lovely new additions, thanks to a trip to Home Depot). I am giving them a few days in there new home to smarten themselves up (and make sure they survive) and then I will take some pictures.

I do have a recipe for all of you today. It is for a quick and easy London Broil, which with corn on the cob (I love summer) was a very delicious Sunday night dinner.

London Broil

1 Plastic Bag
1 2.5-3 Lb top round roast (beef)
1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar (I used my special and delicious fig vinegar)
2 garlic cloves, chopped up or pressed
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 cup of Olive oil
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
Salt and Pepper

Rub the meat with brown sugar and salt and pepper it. Put it in the plastic bag. Add the vinegar, oil, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Seal bag and shake to combine. Sort of rub/massage everything together. Allow the bag to sit and marinate for at least an hour, but ideally overnight. If you are letting sit for only an hour or two, leave out on the counter and flip a few times. Longer than that put it in the fridge and try to flip it at least one. When you are ready to cook the meat, position a rack in the upper third of the oven and pre-heat the broiler (you can use a grill as well). When the broiler is all the way hot put the meat on a broiler pan. Cook for about 12-13 minutes on each side. Serve and Enjoy.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some blog love!