Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hot Comfort, Please

So at some point last week (yes this is a little bit after the fact, but it's on my mind) I was craving gravy (strange, I know). I didn't care what I ate, as long as it was covered in hot, creamy gravy. So I reached into my past, and made a much better version of an old camp favorite of mine, chicken in gravy. It was so delicious. It was almost creamy perfection, except that I added too much milk at the end and it was a bit liquid-y, still amazing, but a little soup-y. So next time way less milk. Here is my super winter recipe for hot comfort, now that it is warming up and the plants are growing I am looking forward to putting this recipe in the back of my mind until next year. In other spring news some of the seedling are showing there first true leaves (the first set of leaves seedlings get after the 2 "baby leaves" they sprout with) so it's time to get out the fish emulsion fertilizer. I will have fresh herbs before I know it. The flowers have not done anything yet, but hopefully I will see some sprouts soon. Also, last night, I ate corn for the first time this year! And it was so good, surely a sign the summer is right around the corner...

Chicken and Gravy

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 cups of chicken broth
2-3 Tbsp of butter
2-3 Tbs of flour
1/4 cup of sour cream
salt, pepper
Milk
Elbow or egg noodles (cooked, you know how to make pasta)

In a small pot, bring the chicken stock to boil, you should have enough to cover your chicken in a pot. Salt and pepper the chicken, and cut into bite sized pieces. Put chicken in boiling stock. Cook covered of medium-low heat until chicken is almost cooked through, about 10 minutes. In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt 2 tbsp of butter and stir in 2 tbsp of flour (hey, your making rue) until dissolved. Let cook a few minutes to enrich flavor. Using a ladle, spoon add a ladle of broth and whisk to combine add salt and pepper to taste. Repeat until you have a desirable amount of gravy (approximately 2 cups of stock. If the gravy is to thin, melt the additional butter in a microwave and stir flour into it, then add to gravy. The gravy should be thick but gravy like. Reduce heat to low and let gravy cook down for about 5 minutes. In the mean time. Put your noodles and chicken in bowls for serving. When gravy has reduced and thickened a bit, add in sour cream and stir. Then slowly add milk until gravy is desired thickness (be very careful so you don't end up with gravy-soup). Ladle gravy over chicken and noodles. Serve and enjoy.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. Dear Eatknitgrow, it is so great when you grow your own herbs, but what I love the most is growing flowers. They sometimes take forever to grow, but when you least expect it, you come home to find them looking beautiful. Also, this chicken and gravy recipe sounds divine, especially with noodles! This site was such a pleasure to visit. Well-presented, clean, clear and yummy recipes. I shall be returning for another delicious bite. Thank you for sharing.
    Cheers, Gaby
    You can visit me at http://ptsaldari.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some blog love!