Friday, March 5, 2010

Exploring Asia

Now I know I have posted my recipe for my week night favorite, fried rice, but last night, I decided to get a little adventurous. I made my very own version of a Bibimbap! It is a Korean rice dish, that is a restaurant favorite of mine (for more info, click here). It was so easy to make and so wonderfully delicious, I am excited to add a new dish to my repertoire, and will most definitely be cooking this again. Before I share the recipe with you, a little update on other matters. The seedlings have sprouted! Beyond sprouted, they are thriving, every herb has come in, yesterday's sunlight nearly doubled them in size! I will post pictures this weekend. If I can just keep the cat away from them, I should have a beautiful herb garden very soon! The bulbs have done nothing, and to be honest, I have no idea if this is normal or not, or if I am caring for them properly, I will be doing some research on the matter this weekend.

Now then, my very own Bibimbap recipe (serves 2):

5 oz Lean ground beef
3/4 c. Soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. Brown sugar
1 c. Raw white rice
2 c. Water
1 bag of coleslaw veggies (the shredded mix)
2 eggs
2 tsp. Sesame oil
Sesame seeds

Boil the water and heat a non-stick pan (or Pam a regular one). Cook rice in boiling water, covered. Mix together the soy sauce, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Brown beef in pan and mix with half the soy sauce mixture. Cover and cook through. Split the cooked beef between two serving bowls. Put the cooked rice in the pan and turn the heat high, let rice burn and then mix, repeat a few times (this is to crispy up the rice, usually the Bibimbap is served in a hot clay pot which crisps the rice, but I don't have one). While the rice is crisping, cook 2 eggs over easy in another pan. Put the crisped rice over the beef in each bowl. Top with the coleslaw veggie (raw). Pour the rest of the sauce over the veggies and rice. Add 1 tsp of sesame oil and a sprinkling of sesame seeds to each bowl. Top with an egg. Serve with Sriracha on the side (if you like things hot). Enjoy.

These were beautiful and delicious. They look so nice with the egg and the colorful veggies. And then they taste wonderful when you mix everything together. The sauce is light and wonderful, don't be heavy handed with it, a little goes along way. That goes double for the oil, all you have to do is smell it to know it is strong, you will get plenty of flavor from just a teaspoon.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some blog love!