Friday, February 26, 2010

Buffalo and chicken, not buffalo chicken.

Exciting news! Food wise anyways. This has somehow become a big week in cooking. On Tuesday night I made delicious chicken kebabs, that are being added to the list of regular dinners (as in dinners to repeat, often, these include, fried rice, pasta w. red sauce, etc. You know, everyday meals). Then last night I made bison burgers! They were falling apart slightly, but good and exciting. Plus the meat came to me for free. A lovely gift from some people at work who went hunting and brought back more meat than they knew what to do with. They also gave me (well the boyfriend, but me by extension) something that is called a ham, but is really a roast from the butt. I will have to investigate what to do with that. Then tomorrow night, we are hosting a homemade pizza party. I am so excited! Saturday I will be making pizzas all day. I will definitely let everyone know, exactly what gets made and how it turns out!

So the delicious chicken kebabs...

1-1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (yes, you heard me right, and trust me)
1 Vidalia onion (or something similar)
1 Bell Pepper
3 Cloves of garlic
1/2 a lemon
6 Sprigs of Rosemary (soon it could be from my garden!)
Olive oil
Salt, pepper
Skewers

Pre-heat the broiler (or the grill). Chop the onion and pepper into sizable chunks and season with salt and pepper, for skewering. Dice the garlic and rosemary. Cut the chicken into largish chunks, and season with salt and pepper. Assemble skewers in the order of your choice. I did onion, pepper chicken, repeat. I needed 5 skewers for 1.2 lbs of chicken, 1 onion, and 1 pepper. Lay the skewers on the broiler pan and pour a little olive oil on the full skewers. Sprinkle (a lot of sprinkling) the rosemary and garlic on them. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the skewers. Broil for about 6 minutes then turn the skewers and broil on the other side for an addition 6-7 minutes until cooked through, this will largely depend on the size of your chunks. So, adjust time as necessary.

This was so delicious. I served it with Carolina's Spanish style yellow rice, which was the perfect accompaniment. The chicken was juicy and delicious. It made me wish for summer so bad though. I can't wait until it's grilling time again!

And the Buffalo Burgers...

1 lb of ground bison
1 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 egg
A bit of breadcrumbs
Salt, Pepper

Mix everything together and make into burgers. This isn't so much a recipe, as much as it is a story about how I ate bison for the first time, and I cooked it. I cooked them on a griddle pan. I had mine with mushrooms, lettuce, tomato and feta cheese, the boyfriend has jack cheese, lettuce and tomato. They tasted a lot like a regular burger with a small something you can't quite put your finger on. Not the most adventurous way to try a new meat, and I am excited to try the roast, which seems more real than eating ground meat, because really ground meat is ground meat, and the only thing that really makes a difference is fat content. Bison is similar to an 85/15 or 90/10 and that's all you really need to know.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some blog love!