Friday, February 12, 2010

Snowed in Roasting

Tuesday night in anticipation of the third epic snow storm of season I went to the market (not quite as pre-apocalyptic as I expected) and what happened to be on sale?! The most beautiful, perfect, 2 and a half pound boneless ribeye roast. What could be more comforting and delicious on a cold winter, snowed in day. We lost power on Wednesday, which threatened to ruin dinner, but fortunately it came back on in time for me to roast. The roast was so delicious and succulent. And with all things roasting (perhaps why it is my favorite method of cooking) it is so simple to do, and tastes like a full days worth of effort. Here is my recipe:

Ribeye Roast:

2.5-3 Lb Boneless Ribeye Roast
1 Large Yellow Onion
3-4 Cloves of Garlic
4-5 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
2-3 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
1 Cup Beef Stock
Salt and Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Give Onions a rough chop (very large pieces) and throw in the bottom of a small roasting pan (I used a small Pyrex one, so The higher sides would keep the juices from spreading). Peel the garlic and smash a bit, throw in pan in large chunks. Salt and pepper the roast on all sides and sprinkle with thyme. Rub brown sugar onto the meat, and put the meat in the roasting pan. Put in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Then turn heat down to 325 degrees and pour beef stock over meat and onions. Make sure the onions are not stuck to the bottom of the pan. Roast an additional 25-35 minutes (depending on how rare you like your meat). Let stand covered 10 minutes before serving. Use the onions and drippings as gravy if desired. Serve and enjoy.

Like I said before this was wonderfully delicious and comforting. I served it with garlic steamed broccoli and there were no leftovers (and only 2 of us). Roasting in the middle of the week felt so decadent, but as I will miss my Sunday roasting because it is Valentine's Day (and I am being taken out) I'm glad I got my chance. I will be making Eggs Benedict for brunch on Valentine's Day and also making a strawberry cheesecake (assuming I can find worthy berries). So until then...

Happy Eating


StumbleUpon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving some blog love!