Friday, March 25, 2011

Coconut Chicken Stir Fry

I love coconut. The delicious smell immedietely sends my mind to the beach, so I was delighted when Tropical Traditions sent me a bottle of their Gold Label Virgin Coconut oil to try. I had never used or even seen the stuff
before, so I did a little online sluething and found out that this deliciousand healthy oil is great for high heat cooking. So I decided to test it in a stir fry. The coconut oil comes solid, like room temperature butter but pure white, I touched a little with my hands by accident and it felt like it would make the best lotion ever, so slilky smooth, but I decided to save it for cooking anyway. As soon as you put the oil in the hot pan it melts perfectly and except for that delicious tropical aroma, it seems like any other high heat oil. It cooks beautifully, making a delicious stir-fry with just a hint of coconut flavor, perfect for adding a little something special to savory dishes. I can't wait to try baking with it and really amping up the coconutty goodness! So stay tuned!


Check out Tropical Traditions wide variety of coconut products and you can read up more on the virgin oil I used here. If you want to buy a bottle of your very own (or any of their wonderful coconut products), you can get a free copy of a Virgin Coconut Oil Book by saying refered by a friend on the order form, and using my User ID: 7364803

Coconut Chicken Stir-Fry:
1 tbsp of extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil
1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
1 large yello onion
1 red bell pepper
1/2 tsp of chili powder
1/4 tsp of curry powder
1 tsp of pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbps of fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp of tereyaki sauce
Rice or bulgur wheat for serving

In a large wok or skillet, melt and heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and season with chili, curry, and pepper. Add to the hot oil and brown. In the meantime chop the onion and add to the pan and stir, cook until onions soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium and chop and add the red pepper. Stir and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through and onions have softened, about 4 minutes (will vary based on chicken piece sizes). Mince the garlic and ginger and add to the pan. Add in vinegar and tereyaki and stir, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom. Serve over rice or bulgur wheat.

Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product. I was under no obligation to review it, nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review in return for the free product.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

4 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful. I have been using coconut milk a lot lately, but hadn't thought of coconut oil. I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coconut oil. It has a lot of great benefits. The stir fry looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a new bottle of coconut oil yesterday when I was out at the gourmet cooking store. This looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im jealous! We have like 1 brand of coconut milk around here. That's it. Or a brand I can't read the lable at the Asian market (which is what I normally get because the other is so expensive). I'd love to try out some coconut milks. I have recently been enthralled with them! This stir fry sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some blog love!