Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken Paprikash Pasta

More cold, rain, and wind means I am in need of more hot comfort food. But, the intermittent beautiful days remind me that Spring is right around the corner, along with flirty dresses, shorts, etc that I would like to wear. So, I simply have to lighten some of these dishes up. I'm not Hungarian, so I can't speak at all to the authenticity of this, but I can speak to the deliciousness of this quick and healthy dinner. I decided to give mine a little southwest spicy kick with the addition of chili powder and a Poblano pepper. If you are not a fan of yogurt (or don't have any) you could use the more traditional sour cream, I opted for yogurt because it's a bit more nutritious and less caloric. The yogurt makes the sauce thick and creamy and gives the dish a richness that definitely does not scream light. So grab your skillet and you will have a healthy, hearty dinner ready in under 30 minutes!



Chicken Paprikash Pasta:
8 oz of penne pasta
1 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth, divided
2 tsp of corn starch
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp of paprika
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 Poblano pepper
1 yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup of non-free Greek yogurt

Make pasta according to package directions. In a small bowl whisk together 1 cup of broth and corn starch and set aside. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Slice chicken into medium-thick strips (but small enough so you could still heat the whole piece in one bite). Season the chicken with salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika. Add to the pan and brown about 1 minute on each side. In the mean time, slice the peppers and onion, and add to the pan. Add 1/2 a cup of stock (the remaining stock without the cornstarch), and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and cook until the stock has evaporated, chicken has cooked through, and peppers and onions have softened, about 5 minutes. Mince garlic, and add to the skillet, cook for about another minute, uncovered. Whisk the broth and corn starch mixture and add to the pan, turn heat to high, and cook until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt. Sere chicken, veggies and sauce over penne pasta.

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

3 comments:

  1. Wow this looks good! I wish you were making my dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but I have really been on the hunt to put more chicken in our weekly diet. This looks like a really comforting meal. Now I just need to go buy some chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PAPRIKA! God, I feel like I say "I LOVE ___" in everyone's comments. Well, I do love food! Lol, but paprika is a wonderfully spectacular addition to dishes and I use it quite often. I like the Greek yogurt you use, too, because I also use it in place of sour cream sometimes. If I didn't have pasta for lunch, then I'd totally be making this for dinner tonight :-) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some blog love!