Friday, December 10, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

I love pie. In fact, I am pie obsessed. It's my favorite dessert. I have been on quite a pie kick for the past year. In fact, that Red Velvet Cake I made a few weeks ago was the first (what I like to call) fancy cake I had made in a few years, because of how pie obsessed I've become. Pie is so versatile, but I am usually a fruit pie kind of gal. My absolute favorite is cherry, I think that is because it's the only kind I don't make myself (the thought of pitting all those cherries is really daunting). But, as it is the season for all things Pumpkin and spice, and a special request was made, I decided to make a lovely, delicious pumpkin pie. For the crust, I went back to my favorite the Williams-Sonoma basic pie dough, this is an all butter, absolutely heavenly crust. Because I had 2 different 10 inch pies to make (the other pie will be coming soon, and it is a fruit-tastic pie), I tripled the recipe and I had a little dough leftover. You can use the leftover dough to make yourself little pie-let snacks (so yum!).



Pumpkin Pie:
1 1/2 cups of canned pumpkin
4 large eggs
1 tbsp of heavy cream
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tbsp of cornstarch
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of ground cloves
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of evaporated milk

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Roll out a pie crust and fit to a 10 inch pie pan. Fill pie with dried beans or pie weights. Whisk together 1 egg and the heavy cream. Brush the exposed areas of the crust with the cream mixture. Bake the pie for 15 minutes, remove beans and bake until golden, about another 15 minutes. Let pie crust cool. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, sugar and 3 eggs until well combined. Add in te cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla and milk until smooth and incorporated. Pour into the cooled pie shell and bake until just set in the middle, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before serving, or refrigerated and serve chilled. (adapted from Martha Stewart)

Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

2 comments:

  1. Oh I just want to attack the filling and eat it all! I love the filling of pies and usually just eat that. haha! Your pie looks lovely. :)

    Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfection! I love pumpkin pie, and yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some blog love!