Wednesday, December 8, 2010

French Toast Bread Pudding

This, I am sad to say, is the last of my brunch posts. You might be sick of my breakfast items, but breakfast is my favorite meal and I could read (and write) about it all day long! You might say, I saved the best for last, the sweet star of the day (although I'm not sure all my party goers would agree) but this is my blog and this was my favorite of the day. Combining a few of my favorite things (Challah, maple syrup, and pudding) into one opulent, decadent, ridiculously easy to make, breakfast sensation. French toast bread pudding. Need I say more.



French Toast Bread Pudding:
1 Raisin Challah or brioche (about 16 oz of bread)
7 eggs
2 cups of 2% milk
1/2 cup of half and half
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of raisins
2 bananas, sliced
1 tsp of nutmeg
1 cup of pecans
1/4 cup of maple syrup, plus more for serving

Grease a large baking dish. Rip or cut challah into bite size chunks and place into dish, sprinkle in raisins and bananas. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, half and half, sugar and vanilla until well combined and creamy. Pour over bread and push down on bread so that everything gets covered in the egg mixture. Cover with tinfoil and refrigerate OVERNIGHT. In the morning, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees, cook covered for 30 minutes, then remove foil and cook uncovered until puffed and golden and slightly crusty, about 30 minutes. In a large pan, over medium heat, heat pecans and maple syrup, stirring so all the nuts are coated. Cook until nuts are toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle nuts on top of the bread pudding. Serve warm, with maple syrup on the side. (adapted from Epicurious)



Happy Eating.


StumbleUpon

7 comments:

  1. YUM YUM YUM! I don' know if I'd be able to put my fork down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE french toast pudding. It's so tasty and addicting. Yours looks absolutely delicious! :) I love the addition of pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having a bridesmaid brunch for my niece in Jan and she's requested some kind of french toast. This will be perfect. Thank you so much!!! Kate @ kateiscooking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummyy! I can almost taste it! :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO I love french toast and I love bread pudding.. I think this recipe is a win win :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How decadent! Does this have bananas too?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious. I'm a HUGE breakfast fan and this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some blog love!